Monday, January 5, 2015

Summary Statements

Just read an article on resumetoreferral.com by Teena Rose.  When I read articles about resume-related topics, I usually just look at the content as a "reminder" of best practices.  However, this article resonated with me because it reminded me that I need to think about the box or I will get complacent.  I need to push my clients to provide more data that I can use in the summary and not just under the "position held".   My recommendation to all writers is to avoid “enthusiastic”, “detail-oriented”, “people person”, “goal-oriented”, and “dedicated” - all fluff phrases that many can view as disingenuous.  A sample of a strong professional (per Ms. Rose), to be used after the billboard / resume heading:

Manage civil projects involving environmental and construction aspects of the engineering field — projects typically budgeted from $769K to $2.3M. Liaison to the executive board during project milestones. Served as Project Administrator during a recent management change, which involved managing the company’s $32.2M P&L in addition to overseeing project budgets, implementing cost controls, and identifying on-site improvements to avoid construction delays and costly errors. Recently saved $371K by identifying and remedying an equipment schematic flaw previously overlooked by mechanical contractors.

Reposted from summer 2013

No comments: